Who May Obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)?

An Employment Authorization Document or EAD, sometimes referred to as an employment card, may be issued to individuals who are authorized to work in the United States. 

Following is a non-exhaustive list of the more common categories of individuals eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document – EAD:
Applicants for Adjustment of Status (with pending cases)
Asylum Applicants: Typically applicants who have filed for asylum are eligible to apply for an EAD so long as 150 days have passed since the date the asylum application was filed—and no decision has been made on the asylum application
> Persons Granted Asylum

> Persons granted Withholding of Removal and Certain of Forms of Deferred Action
> F- 1 Visa Holders (Foreign Students) seeking to work under the Occupational Practical
> F-1 Visa Holders (Foreign Students Offered Off Campus Employment (under certain circumstances)
> Persons Granted Temporary Protected Status
> NACARA Applicants
> Spouses or Minor Children of J-1 Visa Holders (under certain circumstances)
> B-1Visa Nonimmigrants (who are the personal or domestic servant of a nonimmigrant employer)
> B-1Visa Nonimmigrant Domestic Servant of a US Citizen
> Spouse of an E-2 Visa Holder
> Spouse of a L-1 Visa Holder
> K-1 and K-2 Nonimmigrants (under certain circumstances)
> K-3 and K-4 Nonimmigrants (under certain circumstances)
> Certain Persons Under the Family Unity Provisions